Recycling Discovery Hub
Ever wondered what happens to your recycling when it leaves your yellow recycling bin? Why not find out!
At the Recycling Discovery Hub you can learn how our Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) uses manual and mechanical processes to sort and recover recyclable materials such as plastic, aluminium, glass, paper and cardboard into separate streams ready to be transported to remanufacturers who will turn these materials into new products.
Take a look at the virtual reality experience at the Recycling Discovery Hub below:
Schools (Year 2-12)
At the Recycling Discovery Hub visitors can explore what happens to the things they throw in the bin, investigate how the materials are sorted, discover what recycling becomes and identify actions they can take to avoid waste and recycle correctly.
Uncover the broader recycling story in one session incorporating:
- A presentation and interactive displays at the Recycling Discovery Hub to explore recycling from your kerbside bin to new products.
- A tour of the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre to view the landfill and associated facilities.
- Primary program.
- Secondary program.
College and tertiary students
Interested in helping inspire the environmental leaders of the future?
We offer tailored sessions that appeal to both college and tertiary level students including extended discussion about:
- practical environmental land management of the landfill (leachate)
- conversion of methane to electricity (renewable energy production at our sites)
- ACT Government's waste recovery target of 90% in action
- Optional: social enterprise and resource recovery by visiting the ACT's award winning Mattress Recycling Facility, Soft Landing.
Custom sessions can be organised to meet the needs and interests of your group.
- The Recycling Discovery Hub is located at 1 Recycling Lane Hume ACT 2620
- The Recycling Discovery Hub education room can accommodate a maximum of 25 attendees per session. A group of 50 can book at one time if they have access to a bus so that half the group can tour the Resource Management Centre while half visit the Recycling Discovery Hub before swapping over.
- A bus tour of Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre covers the landfill, transfer station, the Green Shed reuse facility, landfill gas station and leachate ponds.
- The Recycling Discovery Hub program is suitable for children in Year 2 and above. Children must be supervised at all times.
- Bookings require a minimum of 10 people.
- To find out more contact the ACT NoWaste Education team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 6205 9522
View an A to Z listing of the Recyclopaedia.
Recycling factsheets, guides in other languages and educational tools.
Waste is a local problem in a global context - Canberra's recycling story explains how we manage our recyclable materials locally and beyond.
Check out Actsmart's free sustainability program for schools.